Take steps to prevent kitchen fires
In addition to grass and woods fires that have flared up in recent weeks due to dry conditions, there have also been a few structure fires as well.
Ruston firefighters’ investigation revealed that in two of these cases, the fires began in the kitchen and could be attributed to cooking accidents. In one case the stove burners were thought to be left on accidentally, and the other appeared to be due to unattended cooking.
Ruston Fire Department Public Education Officer Eric Brazzel has said unattended cooking is the No. 1 fire starter. He recommends that while cooking, residents keep a spoon in their hand when they leave the room to remind themselves there is something on the stove or in the oven.