Home destroyed, no injuries reported
A heat lamp used to battle the cold temperatures is suspected in the fire that destroyed a home on Rough Edge Road on Wednesday afternoon.
Eric Brazzel, public education officer for the Ruston Fire Department, said that at approximately 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, firefighters responded to a structure fire at 300 Rough Edge Road to find flames raging from the roof of a two-story home.
Brazzel said Choudrant, Ruston and Lincoln Parish Fire Departments all responded and coordinated their efforts to extinguish the fire.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
The fire reportedly took approximately an hour and a half to get under control. Then, Brazzel said, firefighters remained on the scene until 9 p.m. ensuring that all hot spots were extinguished to ensure the fire would not reignite.
Brazzel said investigation is still ongoing, but preliminary information suggests the fire started on the back porch and extended into the second floor and attic of the home.
Brazzel said the fire resulted in a total loss of the $250,000 home.
“With temperatures dropping below freezing, be careful how and what you use as heat,” Brazzel said. “It is suspected that a heat light installed in a dogs house may have caused the tragedy.”