Representatives of Devon Energy, Adopt-A-School partner with I. A. Lewis School, surprised principal Sonja Fuller recently with a $1,000 check for the school to use on projects of its choosing. Fuller said the money will be used for technology upgrades. Fuller, who knew only that Devon’s Michelle Gantt and Aime Skipper where coming to the school, opens the check.
Full text of this article is available to subscribers only. Login if you are already a subscriber. If you are not a subscriber, you can subscribe to the online version here.
Cedar Creek was named for the ninth year in a row Division IV Sweepstakes Winner for its outstanding performance at the 2013 North Louisiana High School Literary Rally.
At the State Rally, Cedar Creek students also performed exceptionally.
Robert Jackson, 37, of Ruston, was sentenced to 12 months in federal prison for placing a hangman’s noose under the carport of the home of a Honduran immigrant who moved to Ruston from New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Jackson was also sentenced to one year of supervised release upon his release from prison. The sentence was handed down earlier this month by U.S. Magistrate Judge Karen L. Hayes in Monroe.
The Lincoln Parish Police Jury approved a final ordinance for the sale of adjudicated property to the public during the regular monthly meeting Tuesday night.
Adjudicated property is a parcel of land on which the property taxes were not paid and therefore, after about five years, becomes the property of the police jury. A police jury can do as it pleases with the property without assuming liability, but there are several avenues with potential complications that can come with the sale of the property.
The search for Louisiana Tech University’s mascot is off, as it has been discovered that Tech XX passed away.
According to a news release from the university, Tech officials learned of the passing of Tech XX through communication with Dr. Patrick Sexton, with whom Tech XX lived.
“Regretfully, I learned (Wednesday) morning that through negligence of an employee, Tech XX was left outside too long on Sunday evening and passed away from a heat stroke,” Sexton said. “That employee unfortunately chose to handle it the wrong way and attempted to cover it up. Due to this negligence, the employee is no longer employed by Sexton Animal Health Center.”